Entries are being invited for the annual Television Journalism Awards competition run by the Royal Television Society.
Say the organisers: “The RTS Television Journalism Awards seek to reward creativity and excellence in journalism across UK news and current affairs, both by organisations broadcasting in the UK and by companies which supply UK news broadcasters. The awards also honour the best news coverage from an independent producer or freelancer through the Independent Award.”
All entries must have been first transmitted in the UK between November 16 last year and November 15 this year. The closing date for entries is Friday, November 25.
The award categories are:
· News Coverage: Home – For the best coverage of a major news story in the UK.
· News Coverage: International – For the best coverage of a major news story outside the UK.
· News Programme of the Year – For the programme which has consistently demonstrated journalistic excellence throughout the year.
· News Channel of the Year – For the news channel which has best reported the events of the year.
· Current Affairs: Home – For the best piece of current affairs journalism shot in the UK.
· Current Affairs: International – For the best piece of current affairs journalism shot outside the UK.
Nations and Regions
· Nations and Regions News Programme – For the best news programme by a regional news team.
· Nations and Regions Current Affairs and News Event – For the best piece of current affairs journalism commissioned, made and first transmitted in a region or a news event meeting the same criteria.
· Scoop of the Year – Recognises exclusive, original journalism in either news or current affairs by a broadcaster or agency.
· Innovative News – For the most impressive achievement by an individual or team in addressing a news audience in an original way.
· Specialist Journalist of the Year – For the individual who has shown particular expertise and produced outstanding coverage of a specialised issue or event over the year.
· Young Journalist of the Year – For the best work during the year by an on or off-screen journalist, editor, video journalist, camera operator or technician under the age of 30 (on the last day of the twelve month period from which entries are invited).
· Television Journalist of the Year – For the best work during the year by an on-screen television journalist.
· Camera Operator of the Year – For the best work by a camera operator in news or current affairs during the year.
· Presenter of the Year – For the best news or current affairs presenter.
· The Independent Award – Recognises the best news coverage by an independent producer or freelancer.
Awards chosen at the discretion of the judging panel
The Judges’ Award and Lifetime Achievement Award will be awarded or deferred at the discretion of the Jury Chairs.
· Judges’ Award – Awarded to an individual (on or off screen) or a production team to recognise an outstanding contribution to the advancement of television journalism in the past year.
· Lifetime Achievement Award – For an individual (on or off screen) to mark a lifetime achievement.
For more information, visit www.rts.org.uk