Leading life and pensions company AEGON is donating £84,000 to three charities thanks to the fundraising efforts of its employees.
Broomhouse Befriending Service, Cystic Fibrosis Trust and St Columba's Hospice will each receive £28,000. The charities were selected following an employee vote from a list of over 70 nominations.
The money was raised by employees at AEGON UK’s Edinburgh headquarters during 2009. Activities included the inaugural AEGON Fun Day and regular fundraising events such as ‘dress down’ days, quizzes and raffles.
The selected charities are important to staff at AEGON with numerous employees lending their support and volunteering to ensure every event runs smoothly and raises as much money as possible.
Karen Arundel, who works in sales operations at AEGON, nominated St Columba's Hospice and now volunteers for the AEGON charity committee. She said:
“Working as part of the charity committee at AEGON to fundraise for good causes is very rewarding. We’re delighted to be able to donate money to help local charities.”
Lesley Christie, Director of Fundraising for St Columba’s Hospice, said:
“The phenomenal amount that has been raised by AEGON staff will make a huge difference to the Hospice. It costs over £11 per minute to provide the very highest standard of specialist palliative care that we provide. Furthermore, we are embarking on the most significant development in the history of the Hospice since it first opened in 1977 – a complete rebuild of our facilities. These much needed funds will make a huge difference – thank you!”
June Ross, Regional Fundraising Manager for Scotland from the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, said:
“We are absolutely delighted with the total amount raised by AEGON staff. The funds raised will go towards our ground-breaking gene therapy programme which hopes to find an effective treatment for Cystic Fibrosis and stop the disease from claiming so many young lives.”
Marie Anderson, Broomhouse Befriending Service Centre Manager, said: “We were totally overwhelmed by the generous donation of £28,000 for one of our organisation's nine core projects, the Elderly Befriending Service. This will enable us to continue for another year to provide a valuable one to one weekly visiting service for elderly frail people. Our aim is to support elderly people in the community to remain in their own homes longer.”
Kevin Grady, HR Director at AEGON, said:
“It has been an impressive year in terms of fundraising activity. Many of our employees put an immense amount of work into ensuring that fundraising efforts were a success. It is important to AEGON and its employees to contribute to charities within our community and the three selected are certainly worthy causes.”
- ENDS – Notes to Editors:
• In the UK AEGON offers pensions, life insurance, asset management and financial advice to around 2 million customers. AEGON UK has assets under management of £54.2 billion and employs approximately 4,900 staff.
• AEGON is one of the world’s leading insurance groups with approximately 30 thousand employees world wide and 40 million customers in the Americas, Europe and Asia. AEGON's revenue generating assets totalled EUR 354 billion at September 30, 2009.
The local charities benefiting are:
- Broomhouse Befriending Service The Broomhouse Befriending Service supports elderly frail people and elderly people with dementia in their own homes. The service provides a one-hour visiting service once a week on a regular basis and is available to people who live in the south-west of Edinburgh.
- Cystic Fibrosis Trust Since the founding of the CF Trust in 1964, it has been working to improve the lives of people with CF, raise the profile of CF and fund research into a cure.
- St Columba's Hospice St Columba's Hospice opened in 1977 as a 15-bed unit in Challenger Lodge, an original Georgian building overlooking the Firth of Forth. It has developed and expanded since then to provide a modern, comprehensive range of care services within its much-extended buildings and in the wider community.
For further information, please contact:
Louise Sutherland – AEGON – T: 0131 549 3797 M: 07740897540 firstname.lastname@example.org
Marie Anderson, Centre Manager, Broomhouse Befriending Service email@example.com
June Ross, Regional Fundraising Manager, Cystic Fibrosis Trust firstname.lastname@example.org
Lesley Christie, Director of Fundraising, St Columba's Hospice email@example.com