Azeem Ibrahim, the young Scottish entrepreneur and founder of ECM Holdings, has been confirmed as the keynote speaker at The Paragon Club, the new business network launched last month by Charan Gill MBE.
Mr Ibrahim will use the occasion to reflect on his remarkable career to illustrate just what can be achieved by those from humble backgrounds in the UK. Having been raised in a council house in Anderston Glasgow, the last few years have seen him become a renowned advisor to world leaders.
Mr Gill, Paragon Club founder, said, “Azeem’s entrepreneurial flair and outstanding business achievements make him a perfect speaker for The Paragon Club. Not only will his inspiring story give an insight into the working of his business, but a Q&A session means that Club members will get a rare opportunity to pick the brains of a recognised leading international thinker.”
Currently worth an estimated £60 million, Mr Ibrahim began to accumulate wealth in 2004 when he set up a leading e-commerce facility selling international maritime, transport and logistical insurance online. He is also the owner of ECM Holdings, which owns the European Commerce and Mercantile Bank and other financial concerns. Awards and recognition have come thick and fast for Mr Ibrahim, described by peers as a brilliant young scholar, financial wizard and a gifted entrepreneur.
The Paragon Club is an informal business networking facility that brings people together to discuss business issues on a regular basis. Members comprise corporate directors, professionals, managing partners and other decision makers within a broad range of companies and organisations. Its aims are to promote business in the west of Scotland through a regular series of events throughout the year.
A key component of The Paragon Club is its online business networking facility – at www.theparagonclub.co.uk – whereby members can use this framework to develop their own networks with fellow Paragon Club members.
Mr Ibrahim will deliver his keynote speech to The Paragon Club following lunch at Slumdog Bar & Kitchen, 410 Sauchiehall Street at 12.30pm on Wednesday 17th March 2010. For more details go to www.theparagonclub.co.uk or to reserve tickets (£25pp) telephone 0141 333 9933.
For further information please contact Charan Gill at tel 0141 334 4633
Issued on behalf of Charan Gill by Liquorice Media tel 0141 564 8058
Date 8th March 2010
Notes to Editors
- Azeem Ibrahim is a Research Scholar at the International Security Program, Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University; World Fellow at Yale University and a Member of the Deans International Council, Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago.
- Mr Ibrahim has also found time to earn an MSc in Strategic Studies from Aberystwyth University and an MBA from the University of Wales. He also served in the Territorial Army's fourth parachute regiment and completed over 100 parachute jumps before being forced to quit two years ago after a pelvis injury.
- He was the youngest person on the Bank of Scotland Asian Power 100 List produced by Carter Anderson from 17,000 nominations and, last year, made the Observer Courvoisier Future List of the brightest young innovators in the country.
- Mr Ibrahim is also the founding chairman of a number of charities in the UK and abroad. Most recently he launched, the Ibrahim Foundation, a private grant giving foundation which will provide funding for community and charity works after inviting applications from the public.
- In 2008 Mr Ibrahim secured the Lloyds TSB – KPMG Business and Commerce Excellence Jewel Award 2008. He was inaugurated on to The Sunday Times Scots Rich List in 2007.