An exciting ferry ride to an island, a 13th century castle, a Clan Chief and the chance to go back in time will make the perfect adventure for children this summer.
Mull Theatre, is running four children’s drama workshops this summer called “Maclean’s Snails & Other Tales” at Duart Castle, the famous home of the Clan Maclean on the Isle of Mull in the west coast of Scotland.
The interactive workshops dive into some of the greatest legends of the Macleans and Mull, where participants can become the characters, learn a couple of lines and then perform 'Maclean’s Snails and Other Tales' to a select audience of parents, friends and the Clan Chief! Taking place either indoors in the grand banqueting hall or in the beautiful castle courtyard outdoors, the workshops are set to inspire the imaginations of little ones.
Alasdair McCrone, Artistic Director for Mull Theatre said: “Drama is a fantastic way for young ones to learn, and have fun learning, about our history – and Duart Castle is such an exciting and dramatic place that you can't help feeling the stories come alive!”
Sir Lachlan Maclean, Chief of the Clan Maclean and who lives in Duart Castle said: “We are very much looking forward to welcoming children and families to our new workshops. It’s a fantastic activity for children this summer, particularly those who are spending their holidays on the island or coming over from Oban for the day.”
The workshops are free with admission and suitable for ages 8+ (grown ups and Clan Chiefs can also participate!). No performance experience needed! The workshops are on Tuesday 6th & 20th July and Tuesday 3rd & 17th August, 11.30am to 12.30pm. Advance booking is recommended as spaces are limited.
A whole range of events are taking place at Duart Castle this summer from children’s treasure hunts to ceilidhs and historical re-enactments! For more information please telephone 01680 812 309 or visit www.duartcastle.com.
For more information please contact:
Pure Shores PR – Oban
01631 569 651
Notes to Editors:
- Duart Castle is on the Isle of Mull on the west coast of Scotland, just 10 minutes away from the CalMac Ferry Terminal at Craignure. The Duart coach meets the ferry arrivals daily.
- Castle Opening Times: Castle & tea room are open daily from 1st May (inc shop) 10.30am – 5.30pm. Castle closes 18th Oct (Tea room & shop close 11th Oct).
- 2010 castle entry ticket prices are Adults £5.30, Children £2.65, Concessions £4.80, Family Ticket £13.25 (2 Adults, 2 Children).
- Visitors to Duart can explore the history of the castle and the Clan Maclean. As well as a fantastic new summer events programme, the oldest lived in castle on the island offers lots to see including prisoners in the dungeons, the magnificent Great Hall and spectacular views from the roof and sea room. The tea room, converted from the old cattle byres, is a highly attractive and unusual coffee stop. The Duart Castle shop offers a range of interesting gift ideas.
- Discover the 13th century home of the Clan Maclean. The four star visitor attraction stands proudly on a clifftop overlooking the Sound of Mull and enjoys one of the most spectacular & unique positions on the west coast of Scotland.