The Cowal Highland Gathering television advertising campaign begins today on STV and will run till 27th August in the lead up to the big event.
A series of adverts, which deservedly promote Scotland’s biggest highland games as a quality day out attraction, will be transmitted to the channel’s extensive west coast region including Glasgow, Ayr and as far north as Fort William. The adverts will appear at both peak and day times across a four day period.
The 20 second adverts combine animation with atmospheric footage that has been captured previously right in the heart of the event. To help promote the global appeal the event has, the advert opens up with an animated satellite image of the world and caber being tossed from the world into space.
The television advertising comes after EventScotland granted an award of £10,000 earlier this year to the 2010 Cowal Highland Gathering, Scotland’s biggest and most spectacular highland games held in Dunoon every August.
The grant money has also supported the hiring of a big LED screen and additional promotional leaflets for the event this year. This will be the first time Cowal Gathering has used an LED screen and this year it will show the World Highland Dancing Championship Finals along with other key competitions taking place on the Saturday.
Malcolm Barclay, Event Manager for Cowal Highland Gathering said: “We look forward to creating an even bigger buzz about our world renowned institution in surrounding, accessible areas. This is a fantastic opportunity for Cowal Highland Gathering and our thanks go to EventScotland for their support.”
Cowal Highland Gathering, which hosts a string of family entertainment, takes pace from 26th to 28th August and attracts up to 23,000 visitors every year. Heavy athletes and more than 500 highland dancers and 3000 pipers travel from all over the world to compete to win championship titles. Saturday welcomes back the very best of the region’s local food & drink producers (Food from Argyll) and live music in the Ceilidh Tent, whose headline act this year is the award winning Skerryvore. There is also a Children’s Tent on the Saturday along with fairground rides, a range of local market stalls and a spectacular finale with the March Past, the massing of 3000 pipers and drummers, the march down Argyll Street and a spectacular display of fireworks in the town. This year the event welcomes former Dr Who star Sylvester McCoy as its honorary Chieftain.
For more information please contact:
PR Account Manager
Pure Shores PR – Oban
+ 44 (0) 1631 569 651
+ 44 (0) 7791573247
Notes to Editors:
For all media accreditation enquiries please contact Pauline Foster, Cowal Highland Gathering press office, on 01631 569 651/07791573247 or email@example.com
About Cowal Highland Gathering:
- Since the very first gathering on 11th August 1894, Cowal Highland Gathering has become a world famous institution and has gone from strength to strength. For decades, Cowal has been a major promoter of highland games, music, dance, tradition and remains a key date in the Highland Dancing and Piping competition calendar.
- The event attracts 3500 competitors from all over the world with many from Scottish communities-in-exile as far flung as Canada and New Zealand.
Cowal Highland Gathering supported by:
- EventScotland, the national events agency established in 2002 with the aim of strengthening and promoting Scotland’s events industry. www.eventscotland.org.
- Corona – sponsors of the heavy athletics
- Stewart McNee (Dunoon) Ltd – sponsors of the Scottish Highland Dancing Championships
- William Wallace (Dunoon) Ltd
- Stewart Shaw (Dunoon) Ltd & Cowal Building and Plumbing Services – Sponsors of the local confined highland dancing on the Saturday
- Inveraray Jail – Sponsors of the Children’s Entertainment Tent
- Western Ferries – Sponsors of the Fireworks Display
- MacArthur Property Group – Sponsors of the Ceilidh Tent
- United Kingdom Alliance of Dance Teachers – Sponsors of the Scottish National Highland Dance Championships & joint Sponsors of the World Championships
- Federation of United States Teachers and Adjudicators
- Tartan Town
- Selborne Hotel (Dunoon)
- Ross MacArthur (Contractors) Ltd – Logistical support
- Argyll Holidays – Sponsors of the Ceilidh Tent Acts
- TSL Contractors Ltd – Sponsors of the Wrestling
- Scottish Dance Teachers Association – Joint Sponsors of the World Championships
- British Association of Teachers of Dance – Joint Sponsors of the World Championships