The City of Edinburgh Methodist Church has instructed Shepherd Chartered Surveyors to offer church accommodation, incorporating an attractive retail investment, for sale or let.
Located within Edinburgh city centre on a main arterial road with prominent frontage, the property represents a rare opportunity to acquire a substantial church auditorium which would suit various alternative uses, including a concert hall.
Occupying a prominent position on the corner of Earl Grey Street and West Tollcross, the three storey category B listed property has a domed circular corner tower with ground floor retail units providing substantial income to any new purchaser.
Rev. Alan Whitson, speaking on behalf of the City of Edinburgh Methodist Church Ministerial Team, said, “In May 2008, four of the Methodist Churches in Edinburgh came together as one worshipping congregation at Central Hall. This allowed us to pool our resources and begin refocusing our Mission in the centre of Edinburgh.
“With reducing membership and higher maintenance costs it was decided that more bespoke premises were required. To this end the new church will move, at the end of September 2010, to its Nicolson Square building (off the bridges) preserving a city centre presence.
“We will no longer require our premises at Central Hall once we move. We therefore offer this significant city centre building for sale or lease. It has served us well for nearly 110 years and our hope is that it will continue to serve others equally well.”
Internally the entrance in West Tollcross leads up a stairway to a generous entrance area which leads further to offices and ancillary accommodation at third floor level. There are numerous entrance points into the main auditorium, which is split into the main seating area at first floor level with a substantial seating area above. The seating area extends to 750 seats.
David Maxwell, Commercial Surveyor, at J&E Shepherd said, “Our clients are offering the property for sale in two lots. Lot 1 comprises the church accommodation at upper floor levels and is available for sale at offers over £950,000. Lot 2 comprises the entire building with five retail investments at ground floor level and the church accommodation above and is offered for sale at offers over £2.5 million.
“The retail units themselves benefit from a high level of passing trade and a close proximity to both Edinburgh city centre and the desirable Tollcross/Bruntsfield area of Edinburgh.”
For further information please contact David Maxwell tel 0131 225 1234
Issued on behalf of Shepherd by Liquorice Media tel 0141 561 4018 www.liquorice-media.com
Date 31st August 10
Notes to Editors
The Central Hall. Tollcross, Edinburgh
In 1901 Edinburgh Methodist Mission made its permanent home at the newly completed Central Hall after worshipping at a number of other locations in the west end of Edinburgh since 1888. At this time Central Halls were being established in towns throughout the UK and Edinburgh’s was one of the first ‘steel framed’ buildings.
Central Halls were designed (unlike other churches) to be used as concert halls, cinemas and community activities as well as for Christian worship. From the start at the Edinburgh Central Hall, weekly activities were provided ‘to attract people into the premises and to improve them spiritually, morally and culturally once they were there’. This philosophy has not changed over the ensuing 109 years.