Thompsons Solicitors Partner Patrick McGuire who represents the families at the public inquiry into the deaths of 18 victims of the C-Diff outbreak at the Vale of Leven Hospital, has joined criticism of cleanliness standards at Wishaw General Hospital.
Wishaw General was criticised for its standards of cleanliness after inspectors found that patients are not being protected from potentially deadly infections.
The Healthcare Environment Inspectorate issued a serious of urgent instructions after finding that guidelines brought in after deadly C-Diff outbreaks at other Scottish Hospitals were not being met.
They called for improvements in monitoring and standard of cleanliness and for the introduction of a system of auditing bed mattresses.
The inspectors also criticised hospital authorities for allowing nursing staff to travel to and from their work in their uniforms.
Mr McGuire said: “It is deeply disturbing that our hospitals are still not achieving the standards of cleanliness required to avoid outbreaks of deadly infections like C-Diff.
“Only last week the Royal Aberdeen Children’s Hospital was the subject of similar criticism.
“It is particularly alarming that Wishaw is not even observing basic procedures like ensuring nurses don’t travel to and from the hospital in their uniforms, with all the risk of picking up infections that brings”.
Note to Editors:
- Thompsons Solicitors is Scotland’s leading personal injury specialists law firm offering No Win No Fee services to clients who suffer personal injuries, caused by a car accident, a car crash, a road traffic accident or whose lives have been blighted by industrial diseases.
- Last year Thompsons won over £1m a week in compensation for its clients.
- Thompsons Solicitors won the prestigious Law Firm of the Year award at the Law Awards of Scotland organised by The Firm legal magazine and Senior Partner Frank Maguire won Solicitor of the Year
- Thompsons specialise in delivering legal services which provide the answers clients seek, ensuring those responsible are held accountable, and where appropriate lessons are learned to prevent recurrence.
- Thompsons has an impressive record in mounting prosecutions where merited and representing clients in a wide range of public inquiries.
- For more information on Thompsons Solicitors go to: http://www.thompsons-scotland.co.uk