Musselburgh has abandoned tomorrow’s meeting (Fri Jan 15) and the extra meeting scheduled for Saturday following a course inspection.
Eighty per cent of the East Lothian track is raceable but bosses took the reluctant decision that a forecast overnight frost would prevent racing on Friday.
The extra Saturday fixture, awarded by the BHA in a bid to get UK jump racing back on track, will not go ahead.
Musselburgh Racecourse general manager, Bill Farnsworth, said: “We are really disappointed that our optimism earlier in the week has been foiled by fluctuating weather conditions which differed a bit from the forecasts.
“The thaw is underway but it has not come quick enough for us. We tried our best to get back racing in time for the weekend but sadly it was not to be.”
However, Farnsworth said the Musselburgh course would be a willing partner with the BHA if other racecourses were not able to hold scheduled meetings at the start of next week.
He said: “We should be able to race by Sunday and certainly by the start of next week. If other tracks are unable to get up and running we would be happy to work with the BHA to provide a venue for the first jump racing in weeks.”
Note to Editors
Issued on behalf of Musselburgh Racecourse by Sure Public Relations. For further information please contact Stephen Rafferty on 07980 598764.