Photo call: When: Thursday November 4, 2010 at 2.30pm; Where: Foyer of Perth Concert Hall; Who: Graeme Brown, Director, Shelter Scotland, Dougie MacLean, music legend, and Dolly MacLean, Dougie’s mother; What: Those above will be pictured with a giant blanket which has been knitted by people from all over the world through fundraising initiative the Big Knit; Why: The Big Knit, organised by Dolly MacLean, aims to raise money for the work of housing and homelessness charity, Shelter Scotland.
GLOBAL KNITTING CIRCLE RAISES FUNDS FOR CHARITY
Knitted woollen squares from all over the world have been sent to Perthshire in Scotland to contribute to the Big Knit – a fundraising event aimed at raising money for housing and homelessness charity, Shelter Scotland.
Organiser Dolly MacLean, mother of music legend, Dougie MacLean, has received knitted squares from as far away as Canada, Australia and South Africa. She has stitched these together to make a beautiful blanket which will be auctioned on Saturday at the Perthshire Amber Festival.
Last year people at the festival and across the globe got their knitting needles out to help raise £2000 for Shelter Scotland, and organisers are expecting this year to be bigger and better than ever.
Graeme Brown, Director, Shelter Scotland, housing and homelessness charity said:
“I’m delighted to be here at the Perthshire Amber Festival to be part of the Big Knit auction, which is a truly innovative fundraiser. We really appreciate the efforts of everyone who has been busy knitting and especially Dolly MacLean who has put the final blanket together.
“All funds raised from the auction will go towards our work to put an end to homelessness.”
Jenny MacLean, Director of the Perthshire Amber Festival said:
“We are proud to be supporting Shelter Scotland’s work through the Big Knit and hope that this year, funds raised will break last year’s record. The fundraiser is great fun for those taking part and raises money for a good cause at the same time.”
To find out more about the Big Knit and the Perthshire Amber Festival, go to www.perthshireamber.com
Notes to Editors:
1. Shelter Scotland, the housing and homelessness charity. Shelter Scotland believes that everyone should have a home. We help people find and keep a home. We campaign for decent housing for all.
2. Spokespeople are available for interview, telephone the media office on 0844 515 2442. An ISDN line number is available for broadcast interviews.
3. For more information about Shelter Scotland visit www.shelter.org.uk
4. For more information about The Big Knit visit www.perthshireamber.com
5. Follow Shelter Scotland on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/shelterinscotland
Twitter – http://twitter.com/shelterscotland
Contact: Neil Baldwin, Nicola Baxter
Phone: 0844 515 2442