Holiday Inn, Official Hotel Provider to the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, is trialling a free, in-room Ice Bath service at Holiday Inn Theatreland Glasgow to provide guests with a post workout recovery, usually reserved for elite athletes.
Should active guests be brave enough to take the plunge after exercise, free ice baths will be available at Holiday Inn Theatreland Glasgow and other selected hotels across the UK from now until 15 June 2011.
Ice baths are used by almost all top athletes to aid muscle recovery and the trial is one of the in-hotel activities planned as part of Holiday Inn’s partnership with the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Olympic gold medal winning sprinter Mark Lewis-Francis, comments:
“Ice baths are part of any world class athlete’s training schedule and although it’s freezing, I’d recommend them to anybody as part of post exercise recovery. Ten minutes in iced water might just seem to turn your legs cold and numb, but it’s extremely beneficial as the process floods your legs with oxygen and nutrients, replenishing muscles and removing lactic acid.”
Mark Platt, General Manager of Holiday Inn Theatreland Glasgow comments:
“The ice bath service is a great way for our guests to have a taste of an elite athlete’s regime whilst experiencing something they may not have tried before. We’re hoping they’ll feel the benefits in their post exercise recovery and you never know, after experiencing the benefits of an ice bath, our guests might make this a permanent part of their exercise programme.”
The complimentary Holiday Inn Ice Bath service will be trialled across 23 hotels across the country including Holiday Inn Theatreland Glasgow and will be available between 0730 – 0830 and 1800 – 1900 until 15 June 2011, to reflect the most popular exercise times. Guests can book their ice bath service on check in.
For more information about the ice bath service and details of participating hotels please call 0871 423 4879.
As part of its London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games partnership Holiday Inn will also:
- Host the world’s athletes in the Athletes Village together with LOCOG. Holiday Inn will use its hospitality expertise to help London 2012, and will provide residential managers, receptionists and concierges.
- Employ a number of aspiring Olympic and Paralympic athletes on a flexible basis at hotels in the lead up to the Games helping athletes to build their work experience and earn money while they train and compete.
- Use its hospitality expertise at all stages of the Games to deliver a warm welcome for everyone. As part of this partnership, Holiday Inn will support the Olympic torch relay, hosting the team as they travel around the UK.
- Welcome guests, including staff from LOCOG and other organising bodies, into hotels across London in the lead up to, during, and after the Games.
- Support up to 50 emerging and established British athletes with over 1,500 free rooms between now and 2012.