Matthew Algie, the UK’s leading independent coffee roaster, has unveiled the most comprehensive re-branding in the company’s 146 year history.
Following a top to bottom review of the Glasgow-based company’s branding materials, its new “coffee brains” device, created by The Union, will now start to appear on all sales, promotional and corporate materials. The company has also adopted a new strap line – “we know coffee” – which is designed to capture the heritage and coffee expertise with which Matthew Algie has become synonymous.
The re-branding exercise will be supported by a £500,000 marketing spend designed to help the business become more relevant to its trade customers, corporate clients and consumers. The Union created the new identity after being appointed to work with the company earlier this year.
Gary Nicol, Chief Executive of Matthew Algie, said:
“We set out to create a brand that connects with people, that they can understand and that allows us to talk about some of the great stuff that we do. We also want to be able to turn that to our customers’ advantage, particularly in the independent sector, and to help them connect with their own customers and signal to them the quality of coffee that’s they’re offering with Matthew Algie’s products.”
Now the new branding is to be rolled out across all packaging materials, crockery, stationery, uniforms and signage. The company also has exciting plans to extend this branding into social media activity, with details to be revealed at a later date.
Kyle Hardie, Managing Director of Union Connect, who led the project, commented:
“It’s rare to get an opportunity to entirely revamp a brand of Matthew Algie’s heritage and reputation. Credit must go to the client for their enthusiasm and open approach to the re-branding. We’re delighted with the quality of the new brand design and are confident it communicates both the premium values of the brand and the passion for coffee.”
To view the new brand identity visit
For more information on The Union, please visit www.union.co.uk
- The Union is one of the UK’s leading regional creative agencies, based in Edinburgh and Leeds.
- Other high profile brand identity work by The Unon includes Seychelles Tourism, Clydesdale and Yorkshire Banks and Intelligent Finance.
- Matthew Algie was founded in 1864 and is the UK’s leading independent coffee roaster.
- Matthew Algie roasted the UK’s first Fairtrade espresso beans in 1997.
- Today, over 70% of the green coffee that Matthew Algie buys is Fairtrade, contributing to its triple-certified supply chain.
- Amongst others, Matthew Algie supplies coffee to: Marks & Spencer; Sainsbury’s; Pret a Manger; and Gleneagles.
For further information, please contact Ian McAteer on 0131 625 6000 or firstname.lastname@example.org