An expert in occupational diseases has accused the offshore industry of ‘playing Russian roulette with workers lives,’ after a leading firm admitted placing workers at risk of exposure to radiation.
“Sometimes there is no impact on an exposed person’s health.
“On other occasions the consequences can be serious with the risk of damage to the intestines and the heart as well as a significant risk of cancer.
“Employers who fail to follow the strict safety guidelines relating to radioactive material are simply playing with peoples lives, especially if they don’t ensure anyone involved is suitably shielded.”
Mr Gordon was speaking after Schlumberger Oilfield UK was fined £300,000 at Aberdeen Sheriff Court.
The Company admitted breaching health and safety laws on a rig during a drill programme in 2008 by leaving radioactive material lying on the drill floor for about four hours, during which time 14 workers were placed at risk of exposure.
The Court heard that anyone handling the material even for only a few minutes would have suffered serious injuries to their hands and would be at risk of developing cancer in later life.
Issued on behalf of Thompsons Solicitors by John Scott of John Scott Communications.
Note to Editors:
- Thompsons Solicitors is Scotland’s leading personal injury specialists law firm offering No Win No Fee services to clients who suffer personal injuries, caused by a car accident, a car crash, a road traffic accident or whose lives have been blighted by industrial diseases.
- Last year Thompsons won over £1m a week in compensation for its clients.
- Thompsons Solicitors won the prestigious Law Firm of the Year award at the Law Awards of Scotland organised by The Firm legal magazine and Senior Partner Frank Maguire won Solicitor of the Year
- Thompsons specialise in delivering legal services which provide the answers clients seek, ensuring those responsible are held accountable, and where appropriate lessons are learned to prevent recurrence.
- Thompsons has an impressive record in mounting prosecutions where merited and representing clients in a wide range of public inquiries.
- If you use an online version of this release could you please include a link to the Thompsons website: www.thompsons-scotland.co.uk