Leading the way fresh from their Record of the Year success is Westlife, with their
cover of the Diana Ross classic, ‘When You Tell Me That You Love Me’. The boys look
certs to land yet another official UK no.1 this week – which would make 14 in total
- level with the great Sir Cliff and only three behind the Beatles!
Also out today is Nizlopi’s ‘JCB Song’. The duo from Leamington Spa are unlikely to
challenge Westlife for this week’s No.1, but their single, backed by a touching
promo video, should be a grower and is more likely to challenge the X Factor Winner
for the Christmas No.1, when that comes out next week (Wed 21 Dec).
Other releases today include Robbie’s ‘Advertising Space’ and McFly’s double-A
‘Ultraviolet / Ballad of Paul K’, although it’s likely that sales of both singles
will peak this week. Likewise the England Cricket team’s rendition of ‘Jerusalem’,
which they have recorded with Keedie in aid of charity. The Crazy Frog’s ‘Jingle
Bells’ mix is also out today, but pre-orders suggest that the novelty is beginning
to a little thin and that the single may not feature in next week’s official
Christmas top 10.
HMV continues to believe that the Christmas No.1 will actually come from the winner
of the X Factor. As the final public vote takes place this coming weekend, the
earliest the single can be released via record stores is Wednesday, 21st December.
However, even though this only gives the X Factor winner just four days worth of
sales before the Christmas chart is announced, HMV feels the single will have enough
momentum from fans of the show buying it, to still make it to the No.1 spot.
HMV Singles Buyer, Stewart Allan comments:
“The X Factor winner, whoever that may be, is still looking a very strong bet to
land the Christmas No.1. Even though it only has four days of sales to build on,
you only need a relatively small proportion of the X Factor TV audience to go out
and buy the single to get it to No.1.
“Nizlopi is showing signs of being a real grower, however, and, if it continues to
connect with the record-buying public in the way that it’s been doing, it may well
emerge ahead of Westlife to be the most realistic challenger to the X Factor for
this year’s Christmas No.1.”
REVISED HMV PREDICTIONS FOR THE CHRISTMAS No.1 SINGLE * (inc. William Hill latest
1. X-Factor winner – title tba (21/12) William Hill odds 2/5
2. Nizlopi ‘JCB Song’ odds 15/8
3. Westlife & Diana Ross ‘When You Tell Me That You Love Me’ odds 11/1
4. Girls Aloud ‘See the Day’ (19/12) odds 33/1
5. Eminem ‘When I’m Gone’ (19/12) odds 50/1
6. Keedie with the England Cricket Team ‘Jerusalem’ odds 25/1
7. Coldplay ‘Talk’ (19/12) odds 40/1
8. McFly ‘Ultraviolet / Ballad of Paul K’ odds 50/1
9. Robbie Williams ‘Advertising Space’ odds 33/1
10. Mariah Carey / ‘Don’t Forget About Us’ odds 50/1
* w/c 19 Dec – chart announced 25 Decemeber.
Contact: HMV – Gennaro Castaldo
020 7432 2033
Coalition – Rob Partridge
020 8987 0123