Responding today to the Scottish Government’s announcement of the £30 million third tranche of funding for more affordable housing for Scotland, Graeme Brown, Director of Shelter Scotland, the housing and homelessness charity, said:
“More affordable homes for Scotland is good news for the thousands of families stuck on waiting lists. Through the announcement of this third tranche of funding and its latest housing discussion paper, the Scottish Government is taking action to tackle the housing shortage.
“With less money in the pot next year, and future years, tackling Scotland’s housing crisis will need both new thinking and urgent action. We know there is no replacement for building more housing which would tackle the root of the problem. In the coming years we need to be smarter about how we use existing properties, improve the role of housing associations, private landlords and do more to protect council housing. Some of the ideas in the housing discussion paper if implemented swiftly would help those families desperately waiting for a home.”
Notes to Editors:
- 1. Shelter Scotland, the housing and homelessness charity. Shelter Scotland believes that everyone should have a home. We help people find and keep a home. We campaign for decent housing for all.
- 2. The Scottish Government’s housing discussion paper can be read here.
- 3. Spokespeople are available for interview, telephone the media office on 0844 515 2442. An ISDN line number is available for broadcast interviews.
- 4. For more information about Shelter Scotland visit www.shelter.org.uk
- 5. Follow Shelter Scotland on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/shelterinscotland
Twitter – http://twitter.com/shelterscotland
Contact: Christina Cran, Nicola Baxter
Phone: 0844 515 2442