Budding authors who are being given the chance to recreate Orwell’s literary island experience have only days left to enter.
Jura malt whisky is urging creative writers to come forward now or miss out on the chance of a lifetime, after deciding to revive the famous Jura Lodge as a writer’s retreat for one weekend only.
A budding author will get the chance to stay at the island’s exclusive Jura Lodge and compose a short story based on the island. Writers will only have 1984 minutes to compose their story, in keeping with the name of the George Orwell masterpiece which was penned on the island more than 60 years ago.
To win the competition, writers are being asked to submit the first 300 words of the proposed short story. There are only two criteria. First, the narrative of the short story must take place on the island itself. Second, the story should have a link to one of the myths and legends about Jura, many of which can be found here.
Many acclaimed writers have visited the island seeking literary inspiration since Orwell penned his novel including Will Self, Alexander McCall Smith, Liz Lochhead, Kathleen Jamie, Romesh Gunesekara, John Burnside, Philip Gourevitch and Swetha Prakash.
One lucky winner will have a chance to soak up the sounds, sights and flavour of Jura before setting to work in the Jura Lodge. The winner will then have 1984 minutes in which to complete a short story. The finished product will be published on Jura’s website as part of a compendium of short stories, essays and poetry as a follow-up to the Spirit of Jura.
Jura distillery manager Willie Cochrane said: “Jura has a long established literary tradition, so we thought it was about time to revive that tradition. This competition will offer one amateur author the chance to soak up the atmosphere of this great island before applying their inspiration to a short story. There’s no shortage of material for our lucky winner on an island which is rich with myths and legends and steeped in history.”
Entries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 31 December 2010. Entrants must register as a Diurach at www.isleofjura.com to enter the competition and submit their Diurach number along with their entry for the purposes of verification.
Notes to Editors:
The short story competition follows in the footsteps of the Jura distillery’s partnership with the Scottish Book Trust. In 2006, the two partners established the Jura Malt Whisky Writers’ Retreat programme, offering writers space, peace and time in a truly inspirational setting, amid the luxury of the Distillery Lodge.The resulting works by leading authors were published in a book, the Spirit of Jura, which went on sale last year.
Terms and conditions:
- The standard offer is for one budding author to stay at the Jura Lodge and compose a short story. Writers will only have 1984 minutes to compose the story, in keeping with the name of the George Orwell masterpiece which was penned on the island.
- Entry to the competition is only open to those who register or are already registered as a Diurach on www.isleofjura.com The Diurach number must be submitted along with their entry for the purposes of verification.
- There is no cash or alternative prize and the offer is non-transferable.
- Entries must be sent to email@example.com no later than Friday 31 December 2010.
- The offer is open only to people aged 18 years and over and currently resident in the UK.
- Jura reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if it has reasonable grounds to believe the entrant has breached any of the Rules.
- Accommodation at the lodge is subject to availability
- Travel expenses and meals while on Jura are included in the offer.
- In the event that any entrant is disqualified from the Competition, Jura in its sole discretion may decide whether a replacement should be selected. In this event, any further entrant will be selected on the same criteria as the original entrant and will be subject to these Rules.
- Jura reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw the Promotion at any time.
- In the event of any dispute regarding the Rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a Competition, the decision of Jura shall be final and no correspondence or discussion shall be entered into.
- By entering the Competition, you hereby warrant that all information submitted by you is true, current and complete. Jura reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all entrants.
- All conditions, warranties and representations expressed or implied by law or otherwise in relation to the Promotion are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law and Jura shall be under no liability whatsoever or howsoever in connection with any loss, damage or injury which is suffered as a direct or indirect result of the Promotion except that Jura does not exclude or limit its liability for death or personal injury arising as a result of the negligence or breach of duty of Jura.