Janne Johansson, owner of award-winning Scottish seafood restaurant Mussel Inn, has made a big batch of handcrafted gingerbread houses for sale this Christmas.
Mr Johansson said: “We started making gingerbread houses for Christmas a few years ago. It’s a European tradition, but we soon discovered that our Scottish customers can’t get enough of them!”
You can pick up your own gingerbread house for £10 from Mussel Inn at 157 Hope Street, Glasgow (though, be warned, they’re selling like hot cakes!) or, alternatively, why not have a go at self-building yourself? Here’s the recipe:
125g Caster sugar
125mlg Golden syrup
5g Ground cloves
5g Ground cinnamon
5g Bicarbonate of Soda
- Add the butter, sugar, cream, milk and syrup to a saucepan and heat to 80C, stirring slowly.
2. Add the cloves, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and flour to the mixture and stir in.
3. Pour out onto a floured tray and allow to cool. When the gingerbread is cool, transfer to the fridge and leave overnight.
4. Roll the gingerbread out to 2.5mm and cut into hearts, stars, gingerbread men or just rounds.
5. Place on a papered baking tray and bake in a 200C oven.
The award-winning Mussel Inn is renowned for its passion for its offering of delicious locally sourced fresh seafood, providing excellent value for money and a quick and friendly service.
To book a table call 0131 225 5979 or 0141 572 1405 or log onto www.mussel-inn.com for more information.
For further information please contact Matt Johansson on tel 0141 572 1405
Issued on behalf of Mussel Inn by Liquorice Media tel 0141 561 4018 www.liquorice-media.com
5th December 2011