AROUND 1,500 athletes – from Primary Five to Secondary Six – will compete in the Robert Gordon’s College and Albyn School Invitational Cross Country Championships at The University of Aberdeen Balgownie Playing Fields on Friday 15 March 2013.
The races are always keenly fought, and this year will be no different with 52 schools from throughout the city and shire racing for both individual and team awards in what is currently the largest cross country event outside of the Scottish Schools Cross Country Championships.
The first Primary Championships race will begin at 10.00am and the Senior races start at 11.30am.
Mr Alasdair Love Regional Athletic Development Manager (Grampian), said: “It’s fantastic to see this event continue to grow and be supported by many of the schools in the region. With the Commonwealth Games in 2014 fast approaching this is a great opportunity for many pupils to get a taste of cross country running. None of this would have been possible without the continued support of Robert Gordon’s College and Albyn School to which we are all grateful.”
Robert Gordon’s College, Shelley Lee, 01224 646346 Email: email@example.com
Albyn School: Miss Gemma Neal, Tel: 01224 498106, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opportunities for media available at Balgownie throughout the event.
- All schools have been notified that photographers may be present.
- Location: Balgownie Playing Fields: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/maps/sports-details-3900.php
Notes for editors:
- Richard Anderson Head of Sport at Robert Gordon’s College will present the team awards for primary at 10.30am and seniors at 13.35pm. All other awards are presented at the end of each race.
- Organisers of the event:
- Mr Jimmy Lamont, Principal Teacher of Boys PE at Robert Gordon’s College
- Mrs Wendy Smith, Principal Teacher of Girls PE at Robert Gordon’s College
- Mrs Nichola Crawford, Head of PE and Games at Albyn School
- Aberdeenshire Schools taking part include: Gordonstoun, Inverurie Academy, Aboyne Academy and primary, Alford Academy, Kemnay Academy, Westhill Academy, Mearns Academy, Lathallan, Banchory Academy and Primary, Ballater, Drumoak, Finzean, Mill O’Forrest, Torphins and Durris
Primary race times
- 10.00am –P5 Boys
- 10.30am –P6 Boys
- 10.50am –P7 Boys
- 10.15am –P5 Girls
- 10.40am – P6Girls
- 11.00am –P7 Girls
Secondary race times:
- S1 Boys – 11.30am
- S1 Girls – 11.45am
- S2 Boys – 12pm
- S2 Girls – 12.15am
- S3 Girls – 12.30pm
- S3 Boys – 12.45pm
- Senior Girls – 1pm
- Senior Boys – 1.30pm