Go beyond what you already know to see that, in a region that is constantly reinventing itself, there is always something new worth discovering
14-17 June 2013
Ahead of the First World War centenary next year, the Nord-Pas de Calais region will be the centre of all the attention. With the opening of new exhibitions and themed remembrancetrails, Northern France is already in full preparation for the anniversary.
On another side, since the European Capital of Culture celebration in Lille in 2004 took place, Northern France has succeeded in reinventing its cultural and artistic aspects every year with new events and attractions.
This year is no exception with Dunkirk as the ‘Regional Capital of Culture’ and the launch of the Rubens new exhibition at the recently opened Louvre-Lens.
Located only 90 minutes by train from London, the Nord-Pas de Calais is less-known that you think with a vast array of angles to interest your readers!
This trip will leave from London for Lille on Friday 14June for a total three-day immersion into this multi-faceted region for unexpected short weekend ideas:
- Explore Dunkirk where you will learn about the ‘Regional Capital of Culture’ campaign and the town’s deep and varied culture through its multitude of artistic displays and events organised this year.
- Visit Lens and its three contrasting facets with its Art Deco facades, the nearby mining heritage – the famous ‘slag heaps’ recognized by the UNESCO label – and the Louvre-Lens museum.
- Discover the fortified city of Béthune in a guided tour of the town and its belfry before going to lunch in Locon.
- Transfer to Arras for a visit of the Wellington Quarry – an underground network which played an important role during the Battle of Arras in 1917, and was used as a refuge during the Second World War
- Finish your visit of Arras with ‘Musée des Beaux Arts’ and its ‘Roulez Carrosses’exhibition borrowed straight from Versailles Palace itself.
- Taste culinary specialities in unusual and authentic locations – a mining-themed restaurant – and the local produce – beer and cheese!
Please note that a confirmed commission is required in order to take part in press trips organised by ATOUT FRANCE and its partners.
If you would like any further details, are interested in attending this trip or in nominating someone on your behalf, please reply to email@example.com.
Contact: Cynthia Freva
Phone: 020 7061 6640