THE deadline is looming for entries to one of the UK’s most prestigious photography competitions.
Just two days remain for entries to this year’s Picture Editors’ Guild Awards, although a parallel competition – celebrating the best photographs from this year’s Olympic and Paralympic Games in London – has a deadline of September 26.
The UK Picture Editors’ Guild has been established 30 years and is formed by picture editors from the picture desks of the national press, regional newspapers, international press agencies and domestic photo agencies.
Says the award organisers: “The founding members – Paddy Hicks of the Press Association, Stuart Boyd of The Scotsman and Peter Woodman of the Newcastle Chronicle – felt there was a need for people in the same profession to have a forum in which they could share their thoughts.”
The categories for the deadline on Thursday are:
* Nikon Sports Photographer of the Year
* Getty Images Royal Photographer of the Year
* Picture Editors Guild News Photographer of the Year
* Picture Editors Guild Celebrity Photographer of the Year
* Bloomberg Business Photographer of the Year
* Newscast Young Photographer bursary
* Picture Editors Guild Regional Photographer of the Year
* Picture Editors Guild Photo Essay
Most of the prizes include a £500 cash prize.
The Olympics section of the awards includes a category for amateur photographers. The professional categories are:
* Olympics sports photographer
* Olympics news photographer
* Olympics photo essay
* Paralympics sports photographer
* Paralympics photo essay